OSPAR/NEAFC special request on review and reformulation of four EBSA Proformas
ICES provided advice to OSPAR and NEAFC in June 2013 (OSPAR/NEAFC special request on review of the results of the Joint OSPAR/NEAFC/CBD Workshop on Ecologically and Biologically Significant Areas (EBSAs) (ICES Advice 2013 Section 220.127.116.11).
Following discussion with OSPAR and NEAFC, ICES (using experts of the review group) agreed to reformulate and revise four of the EBSAs and provide new updated maps.
The material consists of scientifically updated Proformas for the following EBSAs:
• Mid-Atlantic Ridge North of the Azores and South of Iceland
• Charlie-Gibbs Fracture Zone (and the Sub-Polar Front)
• The Hatton and Rockall Banks and the Hatton-Rockall Basin
• The Arctic Ice habitat – multiyear ice, seasonal ice – marginal ice zone
During the update on the Charlie-Gibbs Fracture Zone (CGFZ) it appeared that the Sub-Polar Front, which was included in the previous version of the Proforma, could not be scientifically supported with the evidence to hand at the time and was therefore excluded from the CGFZ Proforma. A short note explains the reasons and consequences for the exclusion.
• Note on the Sub Polar Front.
The five documents are scientifically updated technical documents and appended to this advice.
Published under the auspices of the following ICES Steering Group or Committee