Report of the Mackerel Working Group
At the 67th Statutory Meeting it was decided (C.Res.1979/2:41) that "the Mackerel Working Group (Chairman: M. J. C. Gueguen) should meet at ICES Headquarters 28 April - 3 May 1980 to:
1) assess the mackerel stocks in Sub-areas III, IV, VI, VII, and VIII,
2) further consider the area and time period during which the fishery in Sub-area VI should be closed to protect the North Sea stock,
3) re-examine the period and area of closure in Sub-area VII to reduce the fishing mortality on juvenile fish.
The Working Group was specifically asked· by the Chairman of ACFM to:
- reconsider the whole question of the distribution of small fish (i.e. below 30 cm) in the area around Cornwall in order to provide support for any recommendation for a closed season in that area;
- reconsider the question of the origin of mackerel caught in the winter fishery in Division VIa in relation to the time and area which should be closed to mackerel fishing;
- reconsider the problem of discarding and possibly give more reliable estimates of discards.
Published under the auspices of the following ICES Steering Group or Committee
- Historical content